Friday, December 22, 2006

Jesus and Boyfriends

I've noticed that I've kind of gotten away from posting things about art, but I promise you that there's lots of art things pushing around in my skin.. It's just that I haven't let it out to play in a while. So, instead I'm going to rattle on about some things that I've been thinking about recently.

If you're not plugged into the grape vine, I have a boyfriend and the two month mark is coming up in January. It's still pretty crazy to think that I have a boyfriend, because I've never really had one before, and he's such a sweetheart and a man of God. The reason I bring this up is because I've noticed that I talk about Scott a lot. I think half of the stuff that comes out of my mouth recently is about him, or somewhere we went, or something he said and/or did that I thought was fantastic. I don't talk about him ALL the time (because then I would annoy myself), I've just noticed that I talk about him a lot.
I'm excited about Scott: I love the way he treats me, respects me, talks to me, goofs around with me; I love the way he loves God and seeks God... and I love it when people ask, "So how's your boyfriend doing?" or "How are things with Scott?"

So, I was thinking about this the other day and came to an intersting conundrum. Although I enjoy Scott, and love talking about him, I should be just as excited (and then some) about my relationship with God. Some time ago in church, Pastor Mark gave a sermon about how exciting and joyful we ought to be about our relationship with Christ - much in the same way we are excited about a relationship with a significant other and excited to tell others about Him. I didn't fully grasp the concept because at the time I was single, but now I understand it all too well.

While I buzz around making sure that everyone and their mom knows that "Yvonne has a boyfriend and she thinks he's AWESOME," should I not also buzz around to make sure everyone knows the Savior of my soul, and how awesome He is?

Yes, I probably ought to do that. And though I know this -- though I know the charge put before me to share the good news about Christ -- I don't always share what it is that God's been doing in my life, or how God loves me and other people. Granted, I understand that bringing up Jesus is probably a bit more offensive than bringing up my boyfriend; however, this should not deter me from speaking truth or shedding light into the darkness. Although, granted yet again, I know that telling someone about Scott is not going to change their life... I can't even claim that Scott changed my life because God was the one that did that.
But, telling someone about Jesus will rock their world, either positively or negatively (and prayerfully, the response would be positive).

I suppose the up side of this realization is that I can praise Him who began a good work in me, because He is faithful to complete the good work. So this dilemma won't be left all on its own, but rather I know God's going to work with me on it.

So, prayerfully this thing will get sorted out sooner rather than later. In the end, I just need to make sure I don't willfully neglect telling people about Christ because when that happens, I'll have a much bigger problem on my hands.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

And hello to you! :-)