Friday, August 29, 2008

When the going gets rough... the customer gets vicious?

As a discretion, this article has quite a bit of colorful language, and I don't mean the kind that's waxed poetic. But despite this, the author kind of has a point. Since when did it become our "right" to get what we want and by doing that we (generic: consumers) have to treat others like garbage when we are inconvenienced or have to go out of our way?

http://www.violentacres.com/archives/59/two-phrases-that-destroyed-american-culture

A prime example I have from this is not necessarily the horror story of witnessing someone being treated horribly, but still related. I was on an airplane just the other weekend, and as we were boarding a woman was having difficulty finding space for her luggage and was concerned about it getting checked. I helped her a little and in the end I offered her my space while I shoved my bag of unbreakables (see: one day's change of clothes and a hairdryer) underneath the seat in front of me -- which I didn't even know was an option. When the flight was over I grabbed her bag for her since it was a seat behind her's, and she said that I was the nicest person she's ever traveled with.

I was surprised, and I managed to say that I wanted to help and it was the right thing to do- adding that I didn't see a point in being a grumpy traveler, since it never solves anything.
I mean really, there's no need to be a grump to the people around you if you see someone who is in a tough spot and might need some help... and even though they might be delaying the overall movement of your plans it's not a big deal to lend a helping hand. Maybe we all need to go over the Golden Rule from time to time: Treat others the way you want to be treated.

When it comes down to it none of us really deserve the things we think we deserve... But it's probably the Christian -- the one who is really following Jesus and not acting high and mighty -- who recognizes this the most. At least, that's what I can only speculate. From my understanding of Scripture and the teachings of Jesus is that we are to be humble in all circumstances. Paul says it as well in Philippians 2:3,4 - "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others." There's something about barking over a plate of differently cut potatoes that just doesn't settle with considering others better than myself. Maybe that's just me. I'd still eat 'em.

2 comments:

kathryn said...

potatoes are potatoes!

Mike said...

Its so sad, people are used to rudeness, so even when you show the slightest bit of niceness it means so much more.