Wednesday, November 05, 2008

History in the making

Here it is, November 5th (V for Vendetta, anyone?), 2008. Last night history was made as it was revealed that Barak Obama has been elected to be the next president -- our first black president. Someone I know made a point in saying that Obama, because of his interracial parents, represents American better than any other president has before in the sense of America being such a mixing pot of peoples.

While I didn't vote for Obama because there are policies he holds that I disagree with, I am not particularly bummed either. What is exciting about this is that I'm living in the middle of a history-making-moment; although some of those policies he has I think will make history in a more negative way than a positive way. Time can only tell what will happen, some good and some bad as it is with all presidents. My prayer for the new president, though, is that God will protect him. As much as I don't want to admit it, there is a great danger for Obama in this position -- a lot of racism still runs deep in pocket-areas of America and threats have already been made. It's sad and I think if anything were to happen, it would literally tear the country apart. But if all goes well, maybe some healing on both sides can be encouraged. His speech last night was particularly good but he better stick to his word in wanting to work together and listen to those who disagree with him.

On the flip side of things, though, if McCain became president history still would have been made with Palin as the first woman VP. While Palin pisses off a lot of women in America, a big reason I would be concerned is mainly her lack of experience: I don't think she would have been ready if McCain had died (because let's face it, the man is old).

Obama is all about change and change will come. It will take time, just as he said. Some of that change I like, a lot of it I'm not so sure about, some I don't like. I will say that this election has made me more interested in following what's going on in Washington more than anything else so this will probably help me keep an eye out when things go bogus and when they go well.

(one thing I do wish people would stop doing is giving Obama a messianic label)
(what was up with Michelle Obama's dress last night?)
(also, watching CNN and I'm fascinated by their giant touch screen tech... and what was that whole hologram thing about?)

No comments: