Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Hey there, 2011...

Sitting on my new couch, enjoying the new layout of our living room (the feng shui is way better than it was before), and avoiding the office -- which is piled with music equipment, due to an unfortunate incident in which my husband was removed from the band he was in -- I figured it was high time to mess around with my blog on my day off. I'm also waiting to go get my hair cut, and it was either write a blog or play video games. Or make some kind of finagled artwork.

Or go sit in a coffee shop and work on reading Female Chauvinist Pigs, or start reading The Great Divorce. Or continue reading Opening to God: Lectio Divina and Life as Prayer. (I have a nasty habit of trying to read several books at once)

Anyway.

It's 2011, and only a few days till my 27th birthday. Hooray! I actually find myself in a weird, almost limbo sort of place since my husband was asked to leave the band he was in, and my mind has been a battleground of conversations that will never happen with former band members and being sore at God for life getting twisted up in a frustrating way again. However, I must remind myself in the midst of this no-clue-what's-next moment that that is what it is: a moment. A season. 2010 as a whole felt like a fall and winter of transitions, and I'm hoping spring is around the bend (both literally and figuratively). I must also remember that all-in-all we are doing well. God is taking care of us; we have a roof over our head, no want in our bellies, and friends & family (and two cats) who love us. So really, its our hearts and our attitudes that need to be adjusted. I pray this comes together soon.

I also hope that both my husband and I will be able to implement our creative energies in some way besides it all sitting in the office (all of my artwork and materials are also piled there). Thankfully, I have a solo-show in April that I should be preparing for soon, and a possible opportunity to help put together a show sometime in the Fall, which is encouraging. We'll see what is in store for Scott.

That aside.. my lovely friend Erin has issued a challenge to come up with a sort of bucket list of 30 things to do before turning 30 years old. I can't help but be caught up in her enthusiasm! however I'm terrible at coming up with lists. Here's what I've got so far:

1. Live in a place with free laundry
2. Have a grown-up bed, and not a loft bed
3. Have an art studio again
4. Seriously pursue having kids
5. Have a consistent exercise/yoga routine
6. Take a self-defense class
7. Take an art course in SOMEthing again
8. Be more at peace with myself and have more joy
9. Go somewhere outside of the US (even just Canada or Mexico)
10. Write at least a draft for the book I've been thinking about
11. Do a professional photo shoot (preferable with the hubby)
12. Own a professional digital camera
13. Find a way to make art & make money in a consistent way
14. Take Spanish classes that will actually be useful in the real world
15. Join an art collective with friends
16. Do some crazy food challenge
17. Volunteer with Fleisher Art Memorial again, long-term


Ok. I can't think of any more right now because my stomach is gurgling at me and it's high time I run some errands before getting my hair cut. More to come at some point; I'll try not to hold you in suspense.

No comments: