Friday, September 29, 2006

The Itch

So today I had the opportunity to wonder around Ye Olde Kutztowne Universite ... (if you end everything in and 'e,' it makes it look fancy). Good to see some friends, good to see some professors. I managed to run into my friend Amy earlier than expected, so I sauntered into her painting class with her to see what kind of stuff she's been up to this semester.
Abstract, more than it was before.

But now that I've been exposed to people making art, the only thing I wanted to do for the rest of the day was make art. Sadly, I didn't get out of KU until 9ish, got home at 9:30, and I've been buzzing around for the rest of the night wasting my time on the computer and messing with packaging my print to send off to DC. And now I'm in a dilemma, which I've so pointlessly decided to express on my blog. I'm faced with two choices:

a. I want to sleep.
b. I want to make art like woah.

I love that sensation that I get when I just feel the need to make art. It's almost as though all the little art-atoms in my body have come rushing to breach the surface of my skin, desparate to find a way out. At the same time, my day is going to be craaaaaaaaazzzy busy tomorrow... maybe I can find a happy compromise.

I think it's about time to let the art-atoms loose. In the mean time, have a go at my art statement for the DC show:

In Christian tradition, a dove, spotless and without blemish, has been symbolic of the third person of the Trinity: the Holy Spirit. In Heavy, the dove depicted is marred by a dark red stain meant to be indicative of not the Holy Spirit, but the Human Spirit. We are a wounded people, unaware of the many ways in which we are internally afflicted.
The most revered character of a bird is flight. This ability has trigged yearnings in humans throughout history; flight may well be the epitome of physical as well as spiritual freedom. We are grieved by the handicap of a bird that can’t fly, knowing well that the longing for freedom is as deeply ingrained within us as it is in the bird. The burdens within the human spirit are as heavy as stones to a bird -- we are both desperate to be free of our restraints. Yet there is little we can do to remove these burdens when left to our own devices. We can try to hide them. We can pretend they don’t exist. They still remain all the same.
With these wounds and burdens, flight is hindered; life is not the way it is meant to be. The only relief is to go to one who is greater. It is well worth the struggle to reach that source.

That's for all of y'all who won't be able to make it to the show... It's opening on the 23rd of October, and lasting until December 15th! I'm so excited!

No comments: