Saturday, May 03, 2008

28 Days

Since I'm taking some time to procrastinate, I may as well write up a blog entry.

Wedding planning has not necessarily been a stressful adventure for me. Actually, it's probably been the kind of adventure that is very typical of me: meandering and changing. We'd been set to marry August 9th outside of Philadelphia with a lot of frills. Then we decided to change the format of the "frills" and make it less because let's face it: I'm not into frills. While we were trying to figure out how to change that, the date was bumped up to May 31st, and then the location changed to California to be closer to my parents. Then not long after that change, the location changed back to outside of Philadelphia. Thankfully, the date has not changed again! *whew!* Quite a run around, right? The major things are taken care of, so it's just a matter of details.

So, this means I'm getting married in 28 days.
28 Days.
I've been counting down consistently over the past week or more. 28 days after today, I will be a wife; I will have a husband; I'll be one with another; I'll be learning how to live with a man that's not my father or my brother. I'll be learning in a very solid way what it means to love, submit, compromise, sacrifice, and more. I'll be able to see Scott nearly every day.

You know, sometimes it seems really surreal. Like today, for example. In about three hours I have a bridal shower. What? Me? Bridal shower?? This is not a bad thing... there's so much joy and gratitude towards God for what's happening. It's almost too good to be really happening. If I'm like this 28 days before, imagine what I'll be like 5 days before! Will it seem surreal the next day? the week following? Will I be caught off guard in a disarming, pleasant way when I wake up in the morning with Scott by my side?

I don't write too many entries like this, but I'm allowed to now and then. I'm not saying all things will be rosey and dreamy... I'm sure there are things that will be really hard and complicated that we have to sort out. That's kind of a given. But you learn through it and you work at it; that's what a relationship and commitment is about. You don't just throw up your arms and say "I give up!" and let the problem settle deep. Through bad times and good times, through very dark times and very light times... you work through it. You pray for mercy, compassion, honesty, humility. All the same, I hope I never cease to wonder over and delight in Scott like I do when I get to see him after not seeing him for a week or more.

Okay. I'm done. :)

1 comment:

Meegs said...

If I'm like this 28 days before, imagine what I'll be like 5 days before!

Such an exciting time! Enjoy every minute. The days leading up to your wedding day will alternately go so quickly and so slowly. The day itself will fly by, so try to take a minute to stop and just look around. That was the best advice given to me beforehand, and I wanted to give it to you.

Will it seem surreal the next day? the week following? Will I be caught off guard in a disarming, pleasant way when I wake up in the morning with Scott by my side?

Yes, yes, yes! Travis and I had lived together for years before our wedding. We had an almost 2 year engagement. And still when I woke up next to him the next day, it was surreal! Amazing and very surreal. Just wait until the first time you introduce him to someone as your husband. That is a cool feeling. :-)

xoxo