Sunday, July 20, 2008

Batman continues to redeem himself

While growing up, I wasn't a comic book nerd, but I always appreciated the cartoon. I also saw the first Batman movies, Batman and Batman Returns, that our lovely Tim Burton worked on. The other two movies? I saw parts of Batman and Robin and didn't get to see Batman Forever, but I've heard enough to never want to pay to see it. Ever. These latter movies really are disgraceful (although I did hear that Jim Carey did an excellent job with the Riddler... a shame it was in such a stink of a movie).

But, with the newer movies out by Christopher Nolan, I think it's safe to say that Batman is really being redeemed. Batman Begins was excellent and dark - the way I hear some strand of Batman comics really is. Good job there.
I just saw The Dark Knight with Scott on Friday, and we both left the theater speechless (besides the occasional "wow" or "holy crap"). I can't really write reviews, but an aquaintance friend of mine did an excellent job here. Even if you hadn't followed the comics or the TV show, or don't know a thing about Batman, it's still an excellent movie. Heath Ledger did an amazing job with the Joker that made my skin crawl, and it was great to see him in role that was not 'the hot lead' but rather quite a repulsive blood-thirsty psychopath. He was awesome and really nailed the character. May he rest in peace.

Overall, the interaction of the characters and the people around them brings up questions of inherent goodness, a subject worth discussing. I think it also sheds some light on what people are capable of - both good and bad. Batman is no superhero, but a normal man who wrestles with good and evil, and who has to make difficult decisions in his fight to eliminate suffering in Gotham city. The Joker is the extreme antagonist, evidently bent on making others suffer and psychologically beyond anything most of us can comprehend; and yet, there are people out there who are much like this. I think what's great about this movie is that it represents a fairly diverse spectrum of humanity without the supernatural influences of inhuman powers. The technology Batman has is a little out of this world, but that's okay. You have to have your glitz somewhere, especially when your main character is a millionaire that can afford any toys and technologies he wants.

It is worth noting, as well, that there isn't a great deal of gore in the movie. While a lot of flicks like this have excessive blood and gore, I actually don't recall seeing that much at all, but rather the suggestion of bloody, violent (and as Rob notes, creative) deaths. Perhaps this is why the last 30 minutes of the movie catches you off guard and makes you cringe. You'll see what I mean when you go see it. But regardless, the lack of gore is refreshing and reminds me a little of Hitchcock. Nolan shares enough for your mind to put it together psychologically and not showing you directly. I believe that pulling this off takes an incredible amount of talent and skill.

Bravo.
Now go see the movie.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.