Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Rocks and Trees, you and me: part III

Glen Ellis Falls was probably our most treasured place to visit through the trip. I know it was for me, because not only did it give me a chance to let my little-mountain-climbing-inner-child at play, but it was also a place where the impact of God's handiwork particularly struck us. I'm not exactly one to stay on the beaten or marked path when I end up in national park settings... So while we did follow the initial route, Scott and I hopped the fence and crawled all over rocks and gazed at water running less than a foot away from our feet. Because of our possibly illegal off-trail-blazing, we were at the Falls for a good hour or more just taking it all in. All of NH was beautiful, but there was one point in which we were standing on the edge of the falls and looking into a vast valley, and realized the small-ness of our existence. It was gorgeous.







That little space up in the rocks is where Glen Ellis drops.


Closer to the drop, I took a picture looking back at the water headed for the edge.


You can't completely tell, but I took this picture by perching on a rock right on the edge of the waterfall, right near that space in the rocks in the previous photo. It was really breathtaking, not to mention probably very dangerous; had I slipped I would have been done for. But I was fine, Scott was nearby the whole time. I need a little more adventure like this in my life.


Safe on ground level = VERY LOUD and misty



I took more pictures further on from this point, but figured I'd spare you even more rocks and water. But we did get to a point where we couldn't go off the beaten path anymore, at least not easily; the rocks kind of just dropped twenty feet and became smaller and smaller down the river.

No comments: