Thursday, January 03, 2013

Oh yeah, I had a Bucket List..

In light of being 28 years and 359 days old (or, 6 days shy of turning 29), I figured I would revisit my "30 Things to Do Before I turn 30" bucket list. It looks like I have a lot to do within the next year.

    1. Live in a place with free laundry - I don't think we'll be moving any time soon...so not sure how this is going to work out.

2. Have a grown-up bed, and not a loft bed We put the mattress on our old futon frame. Not a "grown-up bed" but not a loft anymore! That's half the battle. I'm counting this.

3. Have an art studio again.

4. Seriously pursue having kids

5. Have a consistent exercise/yoga routine - I did yoga consistently for a summer and fall. Does that count?
6. Take a self-defense class

7. Take an art course in SOMEthing again -- Although I'd be happy to take a class in anything, what I really want to learn is encaustic painting.

8. Be more at peace with myself and have more joy. - This is not a super solid goal, and really I'm not sure it has a place on a list like this since it's really something I should always be striving for throughout life. I'll have to think of something else that can go here...

9. Go somewhere outside of the US (even just Canada or Mexico)

10. Write at least a draft for the book I've been thinking about. - This needs more structure. I may later change it to something else, since I haven't even begun writing anything.

11. Do a professional photo shoot with hubby. Thanks, Katie Harnish!! I'll share your website as soon as it's finished. :)

12. Own a professional digital camera

13. Find a way to make art & make money in a consistent way - Still looking promising. It's through crafting things and selling artwork randomly, but it seems to be working.

14. Take Spanish classes that will actually be useful in the real world

15. Join an art collective with friends

16. Cook for others, and with others, more. Not consistent, but we did host Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner this year. I look forward to doing that more.

17. Volunteer. - I volunteered with an arts-and-crafts afterschool program for a little while, but there are some opportunities on the horizon for this year.

18. Ideally, live in a house instead of an apartment. - See #1.

19. Have a healthier diet / eat less processed foods - I could probably be doing better, still, especially after the holidays. But we were doing pretty well for a while there.
20.  Learn Archery, or at least something like it. I've always been fascinated with bows & arrows, and used to make toy ones out of saplings when I was little. Wouldn't mind fiddling with that again.

21. Ride a bike in the city - no, really.

22. Have better posture or work on my posture.

23. Be less cynical.  - I *think* I'm better at this? Life changes have made me more optimistic about the future, however tumultuous it appears to be!

24. Get a professional massage, or have Scott take a massage class. I'm thinking the former is cheaper. Okay, really, I just want to go get a pro massage.

25. Visit my brother more. - It'd been a while since I saw my brother last, but I realized this is tricky when the other part of this is coordinating with someone who might not get back to you for a month.

26. Go camping again (it's been a long time!) - We got a tent for Christmas! All that much closer to camping!

27. Have a mini-garden... or be a part of a co-op.  Part of this would be to learn HOW to garden. -- I have some herbs growing on the window-sill?? -- The herbs growing on my window-sill died. The cactus that was sunning on the window-sill also died. But I have a spider plant that seems to be doing well there... I can't eat it, but it's something? Is that cheating?

28. Go on a Philadelphia Tour, because I don't know jack about the city I live in.

29. Go on a legit picnic, basket and all.

30. Go to the Empire State Building

    ... Looking at the list again, I think it needs an overhaul. Particularly when it comes to things that involve moving or the like.

No comments: