Thursday, January 10, 2013

Twenty-Nine, Day 3: There's much to be done!

I just turned 29 on Tuesday, and although I like not making a big deal out of my birthday I'm pretty excited to be that much closer to exiting my 20s. I don't know too many people who feel or have felt the same way. I never quite understood why people nearing 30 years of age seem to have a quiet edge of lament when telling their age, lacing into the conversation about how they are getting old. Although it would seem that women primarily dread this age, I've taken note of several male friends who also seem to dislike the idea that they're approaching or have reached that particular age.

From what I can tell, turning 30 does not magically turn you into a grandma, like Cindarella changing back into a maid at the stroke of midnight. Thankfully.

I generally tend to be reflective about how the previous year of my life went when my birthday comes around; it doesn't help that it falls so shortly after the start of the New Year, too. This year was ... interesting, to say the least. It involved unemployment for both myself and my husband (well he was really technically self-employed for a hot minute), and then regaining employment. Much of this past year swirled around work, so there wasn't a lot of room for anything else. However, God provided better employment than what I was doing previously. Sure, it's boring. Sure, I sit in front of a computer all day. But I try to remind myself that although this isn't exactly what I want to be doing (far from it), it is something God provided to take care of us. I'm glad to be starting another year of life and have a more positive view of the horizon than I did at the beginning of last year.

Even though I posted my bucket list previously, I decided I should probably make an actual post of if, rather than just throw it out there like a wet noodle with no life and no prospect of being exciting. I was uninspired. I'm feeling better about revisiting the list and revamping it. Many things on the original list involve money that I do not have or in the near future anticipate being able to afford. I started this list in February of 2011, so you could say some things have changed since then.

Here's what I've done so far from the list:

1. Have a grown-up bed, and not a loft bed  - Half the battle done, since we don't have a loft bed anymore.

2. Have a consistent exercise/yoga routine - I did yoga consistently for a summer and fall

3. Do a professional photo shoot with hubby.  - All thanks to Katie Harnish! Woo!

4. Find a way to make art and make money in a consistent way - It's through crafting things and selling artwork randomly, but it seems to be working.

5. Cook for others, and with others, more.  - Not consistent, but we did host Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner this year. I look forward to doing that more.

6. Be less cynical.  - I *think* I'm better at this? Life changes have made me more optimistic about the future, however tumultuous it appears to be!

7. Have a mini-garden... or be a part of a co-op. - I didn't have a mini-garden, but the unedible plant in my office seems to be living and doing very well. I'm counting it. This will be moved to another list whenever we happen to gain a house.


Here's what I sort-of did, but could use improvement, so they kind-of count:

1. Visit my brother more. - I realized that this particular task involves a third person beyond myself, whose schedule I have no control over. Tricky.

2. Have a healthier diet / eat less processed foods. - We were kind of doing well with this, before employment got all messed up, and before the holidays. I need to get back on this.

3. VOLUNTEER!!



Here's what I want to accomplish (REVISED) this time next year, 2014, with the rest of my 30 items:

1. Go Camping - I'm looking forward to this because we got a tent for Christmas AND I got a camp stove for my birthday! We need to take a trip to an EMS to get sleeping bags...

2. Get a professional massage - My friends Katy and Erin got me a massage gift certificate for my birthday!!! YAY!

3. Do an MS Walk - This is kind of in the works. There's an MS Walk coming up in Philadelphia in the beginning of May, and I just need to sign up. Sign up, and then walk. And THEN I can cross this off the list.

4. Ride a bike in the city - This seems lame, buuut I'm still terrified to do it, which means I should do it. Again, Katy and Erin may have to come to the rescue to get this done...

5. Go on a legit picnic, basket and all

6. Go on a Philadelphia Tour of some kind, because I've lived here for 6 years and I'd like to learn something about the history of where I live.


7. Go somewhere outside of the US - Canada is looking like the least expensive option. Niagra Falls?? Maybe a pre-emptive 30th birthday adventure... That gives me a whole year to figure it out (especially since I don't have a passport).

8. Now that I'm thinking about it, Get a Passport should be on this list.
9. Take a self-defense class
10. Take an art class of some kind - There's an open drawing studio coming up.. hmm...

11. Pursue getting into art shows again - I kind of fell off this boat and into a black hole last year.

12. Make my artspace at home more conducive to art making - I started!! I just need to finish. SOON.

13. Go to a city I have never been to before - This shouldn't be that hard, right? There aren't too many cities that I've been to, so there are all kinds of options.  

14. Participate in an Improve Everywhere event - I don't know, it could be fun. And totally outside of what I would normally be comfortable doing.

15. Participate in the Sketchbook Project 

16. Start making a comic revolving around our cats, Autumn and Tobias - This is replacing the idea I had to start writing a book, because drawing my cats having adventures is more fun, and in theory easier to accomplish.

17. Get back into writing in my prayer journal - I used to do this obsessively when I was in college and shortly after I graduated I stopped. I think this will help me be more thankful and see where God has been working in my life.

18. Participate in a print-exchange again - I so miss printmaking. Ugh.

19. Go fishing - OK, I'm not dead set on going fishing but I'd kind of like to catch a fish. Any time I went as a kid (all of maybe four times), I didn't catch anything. Who can I go fishing with?? An acceptable and unrelated alternative to this one is to Ride A Horse, since it's been a long time.

20. Seriously pursue having kids



BONUS!

One awesome thing that I thought of while writing this list, but decided not to add, was to pet a tiger, or some sort of wildcat. This is a bonus because I realize this is a 1) potentially dangerous activity; 2) probably expensive. I don't know if it's even a possibility unless you have a vault full of money you can dive into like a ballpit.



Soooo okay! Let's do this thing!

No comments: