Thursday, July 27, 2006

Human Behavior

Claiming Ignorance (Human Behavior) by Me

Does the world ever seem like a nightmare?
Some suffer but the other ones don’t care
What does it matter if it's going on elsewhere,
Like it doesn’t happen if it's not happening here
There's a girl with only a mother and her dad just won't seem to bother
No love so she finds a lover
Now she has a child who doesn’t have a father

Whoa O O I hope the Prince of peace is coming soon
Whoa O O Yeah I hope the Prince of peace is coming soon
Whoa O O We'll learn to make a plowshare from a gun
Cause we won't need them when the kingdom comes

When the Communists turn into the terrorists
But the axis came before the soviets
And before that came the confederates
We’ll always have a war to fight
You can count on this


With every cure there comes another sickness
The Earth dies with every bit of progress
We've gone deaf to the cries of oppressed
What we need is Jesus to redeem us

Whoa O O I hope the Prince of peace is coming soon
Whoa O O Yeah I hope the Prince of peace is coming soon
Whoa O O We'll learn to make a plowshare from a gun
Cause we won't need them when the kingdom comes
No we won't need them when the kingdom comes

Now the world doesn’t work cause we’ve broken it
And we need dope or Prozac just to cope with it
Now the beast speaks it's peace the congress
Plans to Propagate
Proposition 666
Hitler’s still alive in the knives of abortionists
And the news twist the truth like contortionists
And they wonder what happened to humanity
You say peace but were headed for calamity

Whoa O O I hope the Prince of peace is coming soon
Whoa O O I hope the Prince of peace is coming soon
Whoa O O We'll learn to make a plowshare from a gun
Cause we won't need them when the kingdom comes
We long for the day when we will see
the heavens and the earth as they should be


O.C. Supertones, Prince of Peace


While it's not necessarily characteristic of me to comment on the things going on in the world, I thought I would spit a little blurb about the recent goings on... Specifically, that of Israel and Lebanon. I decided to wander over to BBCnews.com - as I do on rare occassions - and I found a few articles about what's been happening, since I don't really watch TV. And I'd much rather hear the news from the Brits than Americans, anyway. I'm sure that Brit news is just as biased in some ways as our news can be biased. So I ended up checking nbcnews.com anyway.

Al-Qaeda 'to avenge Israel deeds.'

It's scary to think about what a "Crusade war" entails... I don't really know that much about the U.S. involvement in this fight, but if things go as history tells........ well, you know. With Al-Qaeda leaders all gung-ho about establishing their religion, it's scary to think about what the future is going to look like.

Then again, I wonder if I'll even pay attention. To quote the song, "Does the world ever seem like a nightmare? Some suffer but the other ones don’t care. What does it matter if it's going on elsewhere? Like it doesn’t happen if it's not happening here." In a lot of ways, the terrible things that go on in the world seem so distant, so far removed from my comfortable American living. I met a woman once who was from Israel and she told me that to live with bombs, rockets, and warfare was normal at home overseas. I was shocked. Normal? The conversation seemed like one of those things you only experience vicariously through the silver screen. I'm probably not the only one that experiences this weird state of being, either.

When I found out about Darfur and the fact that the genocide there had been going on for years, I felt kind of sick with myself. How in the world could I have been so oblivious? I thought back to that Supertones song above, and wanted to create an image that somehow related to my thoughts of, "It's not real if it's not happening here." Here is a relative term.. it could be the U.S. or it could be your very own backyard. It doesn't matter how far removed the devastation is- if it's not somewhere that's here, I think we as humans tend to fall into the mentality of "out of sight, out of mind."

What's worse is the fact that I roll around in my own ignorance by not watching the news. Blessed be those who have their fingers on the pulse of world suffering. Perhaps it's an excuse, but I think that if I were to do that myself all the time, my outlook on the world would be gravely darker even though I know in my heart of hearts that there are reasons for everything that happens in the world, despite the fact that I may never know what those reasons are.
Ecclesiastes 3:1 & 8 - There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: ... a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace. God is still good in the midst of a glitched world.
Though, I have to consider something... if even I, a woman given life that she doesn't deserve, feel like swooning when I watch too much of the news-- what then for those who do not have life? If my hope quivers in the face of worldly death, destruction, and mayhem-- what about those who do not have hope at all?

Micah 4:3
He will judge between many peoples
and will settle disputes for strong nations far and wide.
They will beat their swords into plowshares
and their spears into pruning hooks.
Nation will not take up sword against nation,
nor will they train for war anymore.

Can I help others to long to see that day? Perhaps we all secretly long for it, even the anarchists among us. The question, then, is thus: can I help them hope for the Prince of Peace? What the question really is, is "Will I?"

-Y

No comments: