Tuesday, July 25, 2006

When Art Kills

Heather was over last night and while I distaste everything that is AOL, it is handy in the news that comes up in that Welcome screen.

Inflatable art flies away: two women die.

You don't hear about this kind of thing every day. While the event is tragic, I can't help but tilt my head and go, "Wha? Are you serious?" What I'm left wondering is how in the world the sculpture was constructed, and in what way it was mounted to the ground. I would think that the artist would have tested all possible worst-case-scenerios before allowing people to climb all over it. I thought I would share the story because it's so bizarre...
I hope those families are being comforted in such strange circumstances.



If I were to be totally honest with you all, there's this black-comedy part of me that is somehow amused because it IS so absurd. Is that wrong? I'd be inclined to think that it is... at the very least, it's quite twisted of me. I mean, really.. why is it that we find stuff like this amusing? When death is serious, there's not an ounce of humor in it. Yet there are movies like Shaun of the Dead, which is absolutely hands down hysterical. It's somewhat violent, it involves people dying, and people being dead... yet it's funny.
There's something in the human psyche that's seriously glitched. Of course, for our Post-Fall world, I suppose to be Glitched makes sense.
Just how do you go about fixing that particular glitch?

No comments: