Friday, October 06, 2006

I just woke up...

Normally I don't post anything about the weird dreams I have, but I thought this one was warranted particular attention because it was so odd.

My friend Barbara and I were hanging out in a city that we kept saying was Pittsburgh, but it definitely was not Pittsburgh... I don't know what we were doing there, but I think we were driving around for a while and then we decided to crash in an apartment because it was starting to get stormy. Aparently, Barbara lived in this tiny apartment with like just two bedrooms and nothing else. Our mattresses were on the floor, and it must have been hot because all I had was a sheet to cover me.
I woke up early in the morning for some reason and went to get a drink of water and look out the front door. Now, mind you, the apartment was on the third floor and it had a front door. There was a fire-escape sort of deal to get in or something... but that wasn't the odd thing. The odd thing was that the city had flooded up to two or three stories. Of course I'm suprised, shocked, and feeling sick all at the same time but I remained calm... I went to Barbara's room just as she was waking up and she asked me how I was that morning. Then I told her to look outside.
Then we ended up on like a porch or something, and the neighbors in the complex were also on their porches. They were college-aged. Barbara and I, and everyone else, kept commenting how we couldn't believe what happened over night while peering at the water that came up to the edge of the porch. Then, suddenly, Barbara jumped in. I freaked out because she sank like a rock and it was two-three stories of water. (so that's what, 20-30 ft deep?)
She comes back up after a while... and then all of us are intrigued and decide to have a little fun since there was nothing else we could do. I jumped in to reach the bottom--of course, I did--and so did a handful of other people. It turned into a contest to see who could do it fastest.
I climbed up out of the water and sat down with a random group of people and I looked over and somehow there was a highway nearby that was just above the water, and a sidewalk. Suddenly my pastor comes up behind all of us and asks for my help in doing something. He seemed so insistant about it, I went with him. We came out onto the sidewalk and onto a little grassy area that had a tree in it.. somehow it didn't get flooded, and it had a road that lead back out to the highway.
He was pointing to the tree, decimated and looking very worse for wear, and held up a garbage bag saying he was doing an AOK (act of kindness) for a neighbor of his who loved birds. In the tree, there were all kinds of dead birds stuck to the branches. One of them looked like an owl, and it was so large I thought it was a child at first. For the most part, they had dried up, and as we got to work pulling the birds off of the tree so his friend wouldn't see them, we talked about what could have happened to them. I was really hesitant at first, but eventually got to work.
At some point, I mentioned that it was a shame we were getting rid of them all and my pastor looked at me funny and asked why. I explained that I tend to have birds in my art, and wanted to use the birds as references. He didn't understand, so I explained again, and he still didn't understand what I was saying. He said it didn't make any sense. Then someone else came along (I think it may have been my friend Jake) and started helping us. We were all quiet, and I was thinking about how I needed to call my parents to tell them I was okay.

Then I woke up.
I don't know what's weirder... that the city flooded like that, or that we were pulling dead birds out of a tree and I wanted to keep them.

-Y

No comments: