Thursday, October 12, 2006

Random Days

So the past two days have had their share of random and/or awkward moments. Let them share them with you. Then art.

Random: Yesterday morning, I caught a hawk (or a Peregrin Falcon) swoop in on a squirrel in a tree... and miss.

Random: I went to go buy shoes at Army Navy yesterday, and parked nearby a group of guys who were standing around with the hood of their car up. They asked me if I had jumper cables, and I don't... They asked a few more people if they had cables, but nobody seemed to have cables for these Peurto Rican men. So I offered to drive someone up to PepBoys, which was just right up the street.
I know what some of you may be thinking at this point, "OMG DON'T EVER ASK A STANGER TO GET IN YOUR CAR IF YOU'RE A WOMAN." ... Relax. It's not like they were hitchhikers.
So anyway, the lucky volunteer was Joel, and when he got in the car I found out that they were from Peurto Rico. Had some random chat in the car while going up.. He offered to give me gas money, but I said it was cool. I mean, seriously, they needed some help and it seemed like no one was going to help them. I didn't want anything back.
We got up to PepBoys and it took forever to find the jumper cables because they are no longer called jumper cables; oh no, they're called Booster Cables. Grabbed them and headed out. Proceeded to miss my turn and feel like a tool in my old stomping grounds.
He decided to ask me if I was single or married or whatever. Not to intrude. I said of course that I was single, smirking on the inside and wishing I didn't answer the question at all. But, anyway, as I was beginning to pull back into Army Navy, he asked me for my number.
Dude.
C'mon.
I kind of laughed and suggested an email instead. I doubt he'll email me; I'd be shocked if he did, and I kind of hope he doesn't.


Random: After I got gas at Hess this morning, my van (GiGi) got assaulted by one of those metal-horse-things that are in front of gas pumps. I have no idea what they're called. But here's the story: as I was about to pull out from the pump, a guy in a big blue truck was trying to get around a Semi near me, so I decided, "Oh okay I'll get out of his way, and be nice so he can get by." Good idea, right? So has I begin to turn to get out of the way, I hear this horrid crunching sound and immediately realized what had happened. Apparently I was well enough out of the way, because the old man in the big blue truck went on through. I will affectionately call the large dent Susie.
Awkward: So later this morning I went to the doctor to see what's up with my back. To get you up to speed, I've always had back pain to some degree or another, so this is nothing new. I usually ignore it, and this wouldn't be any different but I decided, "I want to go to a chiropractor, maybe the doctor can tell me what to do." Uh, well, first of all he suggested I get my back X-rayed and second of all he didn't even say anything about going to a chiropractor. So I go to get myself X-rayed. I've only had two other X-rays in my life: 1. Pnemonia, 4yrs old. 2. Wrist was hurting because I'd fallen while attempting to snowboard, but there was nothing wrong. That was two years ago.
Of course, I forgot that getting an X-ray meant wearing one of those hospital gowns. Oh joy. So not only was I cranky from my car earlier this morning, I then had to deal with being practically naked with little more than a drafty sheet between myself and the rest of the world. Great.
One of the three X-ray people was a male student learning how to use the equipment.

But I survived. Awkwardly. At first, I was cool on the outside and horrified on the inside. Then I just became increasingly uncomfortable. Like a lot of people, hospitals make me a little edgey. I'm not scared to be in them, just nervous, since the only time I've ever been admitted to the hospital was when I had pneumonia when I was four. The last X-ray was at a family practice. But I survived and all is well with the world.

I hope I can have copies of my X-rays. That would be totally sweet and well worth the awkward-ness.

Anyway. Art update. I finally got in to get my plexiglas inked up and printed once. Woohoo!
The photo is extremely bad, but it's laying on a couch and there's really no way for me to pin it up somewhere. Silly me didn't think to take a picture of it while it was in the printing studio.
I would love to do more prints but alas, this is the only one that there will be. I'm still trying to think of a title with all the different things that go into it.




And this is the PlexiGlas all inked up....





And so the process continues. There's a lot more that I need to do with it, yet... like make the box and figure out how I want to do the lighting. I'm not sure quite yet how I want it to look.. There are some blue elements that I want to add, but I don't know which direction I want to go with it. We shall see.


There's not much else to update on, at least nothing I want everyone and their mom to know. Take that.

-Y

No comments: