Friday, August 11, 2006

Barbara, this one's for you.


Can I tell you a story about a girl that is amazing? Well, if you don't, I'm writing about her anyway. This will be an uncharacteristic break from what I normally write about... Although I may end up writing a tribute to a few other people that I love to bits.

Pictured to your left is myself (looking as pudgey as all get out with short red hair) and Barbara four years ago. Barbara is this girl that I met at our college orientation before school started, and we decided that the other was pretty awesome and we wanted to hang out. It's funny to think that part of what united us at that time was that we thought a boy with green and black hair was adorable.
We also decided that we wanted to be roommates, so come second semester of freshman year, it was so. During that year, we were the black sheep in a predominantly preppy hallway... We lived together all of Sophomore year, too. She's a pretty fabulous friend all across the board. While we kind of ended up spending time with other people, I cannot tell you how much I love this girl.

Barbara's quirky, artsy, ballsy (yes, I did just say that), hysterical, weird, comic-book-loving, and so many other things. It is true that she can be very indecisive, but once she makes a decision (especially artistically), it turns into something awesome. She's a sculptor, weaver, embroider-er, and thinks pretty much three-dimensionally about everything... which I admire, because I'm a dead-beat when it comes to that kind of thing.
Okay, so this entry isn't really meant to be a O.M.G-BARBARA-IS-AMAZING Fest, but in some ways I guess it kind of is. She's one of two people that I met at our college orientation that I'm still friends with today, and one of a handful of crazy people that I spent a lot of time with my first semester at college. She's introduced amazing music to me, some pretty flippin' sweet art, and I've probably adopted some of her quirks along the way.
I mean, people used to think that we were sisters- or, even farther than that, used to confuse us with each other. It was awesome.

So, my dear friend Barbara is going to China for an internship-job and will be teaching some kind of class (womens' studies class, I think?) for 10 months. I just found out last night right after she found out, and I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO incredibly excited for her! I mean, really, there aren't many people I can say I know who have gone to China. I can understand her fear about going to China to teach a class, since I would be shaking in my boots. But I know that she is going to be absolutely amazing and she's going to be great. We were thinking of living together in Philly, but you know what, I would much rather her go to the other side of the world for the experience of a lifetime. Seriously- how awesome is that? A whole different culture, way of life, and art experience out the wazoo... man, she's going to love it.

I know there were more pictures of her and I, but I can't seem to find them. That makes me sad. But here's a group photo of some of us from my very first art show at KU, second semester freshman year. Four years ago... we all look VERY different now. I wish I had more photos of these kids, because Kyle, Tony, and Barbara were my core group to spend time with in the beginning of college. I regret not spending more time with them as the years progressed, but there's nothing but love for each of 'em. ... Suddenly I feel all nostalgic. Man.



1 comment:

Barbara said...

you rule. big time