Sunday, August 06, 2006

The Ceiling is Gone

If my posts seem to be coming in frequently, it's because I don't get out of the house much. But in other news...

My ceiling was finally taken down yesterday so it could get fixed. Don't know the story? Well, while I was in the last week of training, a 2 1/2 foot square panel fell from the ceiling in my bedroom. Because the ceiling was plaster, the whole thing had to come down and it took two weeks for them to finally get to it.


You know what's funny? I kind of like my new anti-ceiling. They're going to come in and plaster over it again, but I like being able to see the boards and all that fun stuff. I'm not really sure why I like it... it's kind of like when I went to visit the Penn. School of Art and Design way back in the day when I was deciding what school to go to (consequently, it was the only other school I looked at besides KU). The classes are in an old car garage and it was pretty dang awesome.
But anyway... yeah, I kind of wish they could remake the ceiling so that the boards can continue to show but still be finished and made nice. Higher ceilings are awesome.
And in addition to that, it makes me think of art things... unfortunately, the specific work that I'm thinking of I cannot for the life of me remember the name OR the artist. I suck. It was something like, "The Man Who Flew into Space from His Bedroom," and it's an installation of a bedroom with the ceiling all fallen apart, and it's suggested that a man slingshot himself through it.
Just kidding. I found it. Illya Kabakov, The Man Who Flew into Space from His Apartment. 1981-88


Pretty sweet. Anyway, here are some photos of the the anti-ceiling. It makes me want to artsy things (go figure).









No comments: