Friday, August 25, 2006

Forgotten poetry

Seeking Sanctuary

Metal trees built up with jagged edges
and razor-blade leaves
as the sound of aged grinding gears
accompanies chimneys coughing smog
A shroud of oil begins to blanket the floor-
How did I come to this place?
So foreign and industrious a forest;
I can taste the rust in the air
and hear the metal groaning in the want of something more.
A twinge of familiarity-
I've been here before.

This isn't where I want to be.

I hold myself together vainly,
arms wrapped shoulder to shoulder
Stones whisper with itching ears,
desperate for the color of life
The weight of hollow metal is opressive
as it echoes the voices of my sin,
my faults,
my malignant thoughts
Oil seeps into my wounds to suffocate healing
The slick and sticky touch of where I've been.

This isn't where I want to be.

Turning yet blind to the path
with rocks, gears, wire
holding me down and blocking the way
My heartbeat ticking as a time-bomb-
eyes cast from this dangerous forest to the heavens
I can see rays of light
wrapped around velvety clouds of sanctuary
The fragrance of my salvation
gracing my thoughts once more-
How did I forget it?

That is where I want to be.

I call to the heavens, to the Light,
to my Redeemer-
"I cannot find the way out on my own
for I am blind to the colors of God
and deaf to the sound of guidance."
Metal shudders and gives way to wind
trees of razor-leaves buckling,
oil retreating
A transformation sweeps across this forest
unravelling in the way flowers blossom

Yellow crests the horizon like a golden crown-
glorious, O as glorious as the Son-
holding the earth in a warm embrace
as renewed, acceptable, pleasing.

This is where I want to remain.

YB 05 11/15



I was perusing through the poetry I had typed up, and found this one. Apparently, it was the second to last one I wrote before the short poem posted in May, and then I came up with the response-poem to Dayton's 'End of the Tunnel' in July. I hadn't realized my wellspring of writing had been so dry for so many months.... The kicker is that I'm unsure if I like this one from November, since it doesn't seem to flow so well. Always room for revisions?

No comments: