Tuesday, August 29, 2006

A disaster in the making


Everything in me is hating this right now.
Not only does it just look awful as it is, it also sparkles... Sure, you can't really tell that it does from the photo, and it doesn't sparkle a lot, but it sparkles just enough to be annoying. There's something about art work that sparkles that screams gawdy and tacky. I'm trying to make it work and unfortunately it's just not working. Time to throw in the towel.

When thinking about where I went wrong, it all must've started with the blue-printing. I seriously did not put a lot of thought into this. No sketches. No direction... You would think this would teach me a lesson, but unfortunately it's a running theme with how I work. It's seriously a self-destructive process, and I need to stop.

I'm in a weird state of mind right now... Currently discontent with not having made any work for two months, yet defeated by the lack of motivation (aka, inspiration). I just want to start doing something. I've got two unfinished works waiting for me; one is exciting for me, the other- well, I'm unsure about it. Perhaps part of my issue right now is that I'm not a) surrounded by other artists, which is what I'm used to from taking classes for four years and b) not getting any critique at all. The only voice going into these works is my own, and let me tell you, for someone who just graduated college it sure doesn't have a lot to say.

I'm being too pessimistic, I know. And this entry isn't really as thoughtful as it could be. There's a lot going on in my world, and all I want right now is a little bit of human fellowship.

1 comment:

Barbara said...

i definitly understand how you feel with lack of direction in your art. I feel very disappointed in myself for not doing more. I made the jewelry and shirts....but was that really all that "arty". I want to make sculpture but who knows when i will make one again, especially now that i'm in China and really have no studio. I'm finding it difficult to work outside of a studio class environment....and i'm afraid i will flounder because of it.