Saturday, August 05, 2006

Plexiglas and Light

Finally, a post about art.
I decided to wander over to artblog and catch up on a few things since I hadn't been reading it for a while... well, I don't really have the habit of reading it often to begin with, but I'm hoping that all of that will change soon. Anyway. I was reading the post from this past Wednesday and found something absolutely delightful.

Mark Khaisman is an artist (as many on the artblog) that I have never heard of before. But I'm terribly intruiged by his use of packing tape on Plexiglas surfaces, using light to illuminate the piece.


His works are incredible in their illusion of detail, and in some ways they kind of remind me of Rubens' works with pixelation. On Inliquid.com's website, Khaisman says that, "
I work on the light easel, applying translucent brown packing tape on clear Plexiglas panels, the layers built up to create degrees of opacity. My main motivation is my love for classics. The images are archetypes derived from the cultural heritage: art, architecture, movies. I am trying to be faithful to the source, but in the process of interpretation all kinds of things happen. The reason is submerged in the shadows, the purpose is absorbed by the light, the cultural icon has become the personal experience."
It would be pretty sweet to see these things in person... I AM planning on being in Philly soon, before the show is over. I wonder if I can find the Fleischer-Ollman Gallery?


See, one thing that I really would like to start doing is making light boxes. I've only got two so far- one is friggin huge (30in x 30in - one of the bigger artworks I've ever made), not to mention heavy... The other, the second one, is a bit smaller and turned out much better than the first. That's it over on the right... The light isn't really that bright, it just came out that way in the photograph.

I don't really know what to call them if anything other than light boxes, but the idea brings together printmaking/collagraph
techniques, drawing, as well as texture, layering, and light. It's seems only natural, then, to be drawn to Khaisman's works. There are so many thoughts that drive behind what I want to do with the light boxes involving the complexity of the "human condition" and humanity's relationship to divinity, struggles and all. I'm aching to continue making them. I've got two huge pieces of plexiglas, and a few smaller ones that I managed to get for free... one of the large pieces already has a work-in-progress, but I'm not sure if I want to continue with it. I have what I would say is a fabulous idea for the other large piece, but it's all trapped inside my head for the time being. I also have a bunch of ideas for installations, but that kind of thing may be in the works long before it ever comes to realization. Who would have thought little old two-dimensional me would ever be looking to do quasi-sculptural things? When did that happen? It's like these light boxes are a weird love affair between everything I love about graphics/illustrations--flat with no illusions to three-dimensionality--and the dimensionality of texture and boxish-ness.
Go figure.


I don't really have any other thoughts besides that... At least not right now.

Since I stumbled upon Khaisman's works, I decided to do a little search on Google and found a few other things that I thought were interesting... but I didn't spend a lot of time perusing through the things on Google to find a lot. So here are just three things.

An art show in Texas, 2002

















Targetti Light Art Collection, 1997

Out like a fish-
Y

No comments: